Saturday, February 23, 2013

What If One "Solution" is Causing the Next Problem?


This is not a lengthy article, because I am not going to pound anyone with links. To be honest, that was my intention to begin with, but I've learned an avalanche of links is not necessary to think. People research what concerns them, and regardless of the attempt not to, we all tend to present our personal bias on a topic in which we are passionate. Destroying my grandchildren's food is a passionate topic for me. I take great issue, also against any entity being so arrogant as to say they can do better than our Creator! So with that being said, I'm simply going to raise a few questions, offer the latest hope that Monsanto will have to wait a little while. I will share the fact that one of our Supreme Court Justices used to be on Monsanto's legal team, and so far he's not chosen to recuse himself. My hope is that he left Monsanto in disgust . . .

GMO self-herbiciding, self-pesticiding plants could be causing super bugs, just like all of our anti-bacterial soap in the sewer system. Do we realize what we are actually doing, here? And with all the antibiotics actually weakening the human immune system, we are literally setting ourselves up for plagues, and creating pestilence! This topic was mentioned briefly on the new series, "Before It Was Headlines It Was Prophecy," in which we are literally diminishing our own health with diet and "health care."

I couldn't help but spend a few moments on the possible recessive results of this genetics playground we now call food. If the DNA of scorpions engineered with cabbage actually serves as a pesticide against caterpillars, then I believe the recessive results may be what would be termed "unintended consequences . . ." I learned early in genetics class that a recessive trait is always part of the equation of chance in the field of genetics. For instance, what happens, when caterpillars develop an immunity to this new pesticide idea, just like super-bugs have developed a resistance to antibacterial soap? Will caterpillars become poisonous or will we have to raise the level of scorpion toxins in cabbage? What if scorpion DNA is no longer toxic enough for pests? What's next? Now I'm no scientist, but if I can think of these questions, surely the smart guys in the labs with doctorates and big funding, can wrap their minds around this.

Regardless of the possible down side or next step of the plan, it doesn't sound like anything I'd choose to deal with, but could very literally become reality. Everything we've attempted to enhance has had these so called "unintended consequences." Well, I'm not casting stones, but by now, wouldn't wisdom tell us to pay attention because there will be some part of the plan that produces results we don't like! If unintended consequences continue to happen, isn't ignoring that fact intentional?
<

2 comments:

  1. When we tamper with nature, we are tampering with the very systems set up for our survival. We need to better understand how creation operates better rather than trying to fight against it.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Gerald, I completely agree with your statement. We are truly working against our own best interests for survival, in tampering with creation. I shudder to think of the consequences we invite when we are so arrogant as to alter what our Creator has called good.

    ReplyDelete